Please remember your gift is tax-deductible and your support ensures that programs continue to grow to meet the needs of our talented students. Matching Gifts are often available from employers’ matching gift programs and can double or even triple your contribution. Please call the Advancement Office (203) 362-2569 or the Business Office (203) 362-2561 for assistance. Thank You!
The 2019 “Fund for Unquowa” – Every Year, Everyone!
The Fund for Unquowa is an essential part of our financial health and contributes to the operating expenses of the school. It helps make so many unique programs possible such as: school-wide visual and performing arts, the creativity within the Makerspace, staff development to ensure the very best learning experiences, our farm-to-fork dining program and so much more.
Our school delivers academic excellence and innovation which empowers each child to develop an “unafraid spirit … in a changing world.” This is all accomplished while also fostering a strong sense of community and school spirit.
We ask that you celebrate Unquowa’s commitment to excellence with a meaningful donation to the 2019 Fund for Unquowa. Please consider gifts of $100, $1,000, $10,000 or highlight Unquowa’s founding with a gift of $1,917.
Thank you in advance for your thoughtful generosity as “The Future is in Our Care”.
Melody Waterhouse & Peter Lanni, Fund for Unquowa Co-Chairs
The Carl Churchill Legacy Giving Society
In thinking about establishing our Legacy Giving Society, there were many decisions to make, but one thing was perfectly clear from the start. As a key component of securing the school’s future, it had to be named for the school’s longest sitting headmaster, Carl Churchill, whose twenty year tenure shaped the early years of the school’s history and laid the firm foundation for its progressive philosophy. Mr. Churchill understood and put in place at Unquowa the progressive education model of learning by doing, evidence of which we see in vintage photos that grace our halls today and the practice of which continues to grow each year at Unquowa.
In the annual report of 1940, Mr. Churchill wisely emphasized the counterintuitive notion that parents should not save their money for boarding school and college but rather spend it on the early years of their child’s education “to induce the habit of mental exploration, discovery and achievement” that would serve them through life. We cannot thank Mr. Churchill enough for the clear, steady path he laid for his successors, a path which has allowed our school to near its 100th anniversary providing the robust, impactful educational experience for children that Mr. Churchill worked so long and so hard to establish.
Overview of Legacy Giving
Legacy Giving is a way for you to support The Unquowa School through a long term strategy of directed giving that benefits both you and the school for years to come.
While any gift to the school provides vital support, a planned legacy gift offers a unique level of long-term security that strengthens Unquowa’s financial foundation for the future. As with all giving to the school, you have the option of directing your legacy gift towards an area at the school that you are passionate about or leaving it unrestricted for the school’s leadership to determine where it is needed most.
The legacy giving tools described below each offer a different path that you can take to support Unquowa while providing possible tax and inheritance benefits to you and your family.
While Unquowa can accept and monitor the legacy giving strategies included here, the school is not in a position to provide financial advice. Therefore, if you are considering making a gift to the school through one of these strategies, we suggest you discuss these options with your financial advisor.
Together we are making Unquowa stronger for the students who are here now and for those who will join the Unquowa family in the future. On behalf of all of them, thank you.
Gifts From Your Will or Trust : This gift does not affect your cash flow during your lifetime, and provides significant support to The Unquowa School.
How it works…
- Include a bequest to The Unquowa School in your will or trust
- Make your bequest unrestricted or direct it to a specific purpose at the school
- Indicate a specific amount, a percentage of your estate, or a portion of the balance remaining in your estate or trust
- Your assets remain in your control in your lifetime
- You can modify your bequest to address changing circumstances
- Receive a deduction in estate taxes for your charitable bequest
- You can direct your bequest to a particular purpose
Charitable Lead Trusts : This gift allows you to provide significant annual support to The Unquowa School now, while reducing the taxes on assets passed to your heirs later.
How it works…
- You contribute securities or other appreciating assets to a charitable lead trust
- The trust makes annual payments to The Unquowa School for a period of time
- When the trust terminates, the remaining principal is paid to your heirs
- The present value of the income payments to The Unquowa School reduces your gift/estate tax
- All appreciation that takes place in the trust goes tax-free to your heirs
- The amount and term of the payments to The Unquowa School can be set so as to reduce or even eliminate transfer taxes due when the principal reverts to your heirs
Charitable Remainder Unitrusts : This gift benefits you and your designated beneficiaries now and The Unquowa School later on and for years to come.
How it works…
- You transfer cash, securities or other appreciated property into a trust
- The trust pays a percentage of the value of its principal, which is re-valued annually, to you or to beneficiaries you name
- When the trust terminates, the remainder passes to The Unquowa School to be used as you have directed
- You or your designated beneficiaries receive income for life or for a term of years (varies annually based on the value of the trust)
- You receive an immediate income tax deduction for a the charitable remainder value of your gift
- Pay no upfront capital gains tax on appreciated assets you donate
- You can make additional gifts to the trust as your circumstances allow for additional income and tax benefits
Gifts from Retirement Plans at Death : This gift supports The Unquowa School and its students for years to come.
How it works…
- You name The Unquowa School as beneficiary for part or all of your retirement-plan benefits
- Funds are transferred by plan administrator at your death
- No federal income tax is due on the funds that pass to The Unquowa School
- No federal estate-tax liability
Gifts of Life Insurance : This gift allows you to provide significant support to The Unquowa School without adversely affecting your cash flow.
How it works…
- You transfer ownership of a paid-up life insurance policy to The Unquowa School
- The Unquowa School cashes the policy now
- You receive gift credit and an immediate income tax deduction for the cash surrender value of the policy